||Reporting to the Department Co-Chairpersons, this position provides paraprofessional administrative support to the Department of Biology. This position oversees several key administrative functions in support of the mission of the department, including: primary administrative support to the Co-Chairs, overall office coordination, office operating budget, undergraduate and graduate programs, student employment activities. Normal hours of work are: 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
|27% Administrative Assistant to Biology Department, its Co-Chairs, Coordinators and Staff
1. Evaluate, develop, recommend and implement policies and procedures to improve office operations.
2. Independently investigate and resolve operational problems impacting staff and students.
3. Organize work flow to effectively and sufficiently meet deadlines.
4. Provide first point of contact with the students, staff and public regarding operations, policies and programs.
5. Serve as liaison to Dean’s office for issues relating to faculty, instructional staff, course information, department needs and funding issues.
6. Advise Co-Chairs on administrative policies, procedures and deadlines (e.g. faculty tenure, promotions and review of non-tenured faculty).
7. Gather and prepare data for Co-Chairs to make decisions that affect the department (e.g. Academic Program Reviews, enrollment data, academic progression of majors/minors, grant proposals/funding, computer requests, Annual Report, Instructional Load Report, etc.).
8. Serve as resource to and administrative support for Search and Screen committees by coordinating recruitment procedures and materials.
9. Develop and maintain departmental program and administrative files.
20% Budget and Purchasing Support
1. Collaborate with Co-Chairs to develop office operating budget: provide feedback and input based upon expenditure history.
2. Set up and maintain expenditure records.
3. Track and reconcile monthly expenditures.
4. Maintain signature authorization for VISA card; comply with Purchasing Dept regulations for approved use and audit purposes.
5. Assess and track office student employment expenditures to disburse funds for Work Study and Student Assistants.
6. Determine need for and procure equipment and office supplies.
7. Resolve billing errors/disputes with vendors in a timely manner.
8. Be proficient with Shared Financial System (SFS) and WISDM financials to accurately track and accomplish tasks efficiently.
9. Sign for Stockroom deliveries in absence of Stockroom Manager
30% Undergraduate and Graduate Program Support
1. Serve as resource to department staff and apply University, Graduate Studies, College and Department academic policies and procedures in an appropriate manner.
2. Using established program criteria, assign and re-assign department advisors, entering and maintaining assignments into the Student Information System.
3. Coordinate class scheduling activities (e.g. build classes, proof and revise schedule data, assess registration numbers, maintain and monitor enrollment data, etc.).
4. Provide program information to students and department staff through oral and written communications.
5. Track and advise faculty and students of class size limits and closures. Maintain electronic waiting lists as required.
6. Maintain authority to add/drop students from courses.
7. Answer questions regarding course availability, course prerequisites, class content, registration processes, academic deficiencies. Refer to faculty advisors as appropriate.
8. Create and maintain student databases/spreadsheets to track program activities for a variety of purposes (e.g. assessment, satisfaction surveys, enrollments, alumni data base etc.).
20% Student Employment Activities
3% Support to Departments USA
1. Determine student staffing requirements to meet operational needs.
2. Recruit for and hire Work Study and Student Assistant employees according to university guidelines.
3. Determine work assignments, develop training and evaluation methods for department office employees.
4. Serve as Employee Unit Coordinator (EUC) and prepare and process required documentation for student appointments and payroll. Requires knowledge of Student Appointment System, HRS system, UW Oshkosh and UW System policies regarding student employment.
5. Monitor and report budget expenditures to Co-Chairs for student assistant, and work study employees.
6. Monitor and report Academic Excellence student hours/money for each supervisor. Process budget transfers for Academic Excellence students at end of academic year.
1. Assume responsibilities of half-time University Services Associate 2 during times when employee is not scheduled to work as well as during employee’s absences.
2. Based upon operational needs, place textbook orders, key orders, prepare TER’s, travel expense forms, work orders, to assist with USA 2’s workload.
||1. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
2. Knowledge of a wide variety of administrative support tasks, which may include purchasing, budget tracking, reporting, and policy adherence.
3. Extensive knowledge of various computer applications. This may include Windows operating system, Microsoft Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Google Apps, and web tools. Thorough working knowledge of MS Word advanced functions.
4. Ability to write grammatically correct correspondence; speak and convey thoughts clearly
5. Ability to learn and apply new software applications to optimize efficiency
Applicants must submit the following documents using the online application:
Cover letter, Resume, and the contact information for 3 professional references
For questions regarding your application and additional options to apply, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-424-1166.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: Applications received by October 24, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.